Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Late Round Robin Challenge: Secrets

Look at this photograph, what secrets does this family hold.  There are many.  Family secrets, we all have them.  This is my great great grandfather's family.  Should I tell them.  There are many that I've found out being the genealogist.  There are sad stories, happy stories, and secrets.  Lula Payne was my Papa's aunt, he was named after her, so he passed the family secret on to me.   The family secret had to do with guns.  Back in those days most people carried guns.  Guns brought much heartache in those days as it does in the 21st century.  Loss of life due to guns touched everyone in this family.  One lost their life due to guns. Many in this picture took a life because of guns.  Two were accidents, other's were to protect the ones they loved.  The beautiful woman in the top right is my great grandmother Annie, my Papa's mom.  Wasn't she beautiful?  The picture below is of Lula Payne Ennis Giles, cause of death, gun accident.

1883-1912 Lula Payne Ennis Giles

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derek...

You aren't really late. All Round Robins have up to one week after the challenge date to submit a photo. This is really, really good. I enjoy the vintage photo...and the message. EXCELLENT my friend!

Always, Carly :)

Anonymous said...

You're right about all our family's have secrets!  Good and bad ones.

Anonymous said...

I love old pics, even if I don't know the family
~Julie

Anonymous said...

What a great family photo, yes there are lots of secrets in families aren't there?  Linda

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your pictures...This was a very interesting choice..Thanks...Melissa

Anonymous said...

wow... great picture.... when was it taken exactly, do u know?

Anonymous said...

When I look at antique photos such as this one, I always wonder...about the people, their lives, loves, hopes, dreams, and even secrets.  You hit on something there Derek!

Dona
http://journals.aol.com/delela1/BlueSkiesandGentleBreezes

Anonymous said...

Wonderful old photograph, you rarely get so many of one family in them.  Like you I am the genealogist and I have uncovered secrets as well.  It always makes you wonder about the lives of people from day to day and what they really were like and thought about.  Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I love this photo! There is a photo of my Grandfathers family, he is one of 13 children, and the guns are prominent. Turn of the century photo.  I love this photo.